Want to try roasting a pig on a spit? Sounds like a huge challenge! But where do you begin? Here’s a yummy recipe you can try on your next gathering!
- 2 gallons approx. 32 cups of water
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 30 pieces of unpeeled garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon of crushed hot red pepper
- 1 gallon approx. 16 cups of apple juice
- 4 pounds of unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion white chopped coarsely
- 5 pieces of garlic cut in two horizontally
- 6 of thyme sprigs and 4 of sage sprigs and 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of garlic salt
- 1 cup of lemon pepper
- 1 cup of mild chilli powder 1 cup of ground fresh black pepper
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bunch of sage
- 1 bunch of marjoram
- 1 bunch of rosemary
- 1 cup of honey
- Juice or syrup of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat- leaf parsley
- 4 garlic cloves grated and peeled on a Micro plane grater
- 1 recipe of Herb Sauce
- Fresh black pepper coarsely ground
- You will need a large meat injector; a spit 40 quart capacity cooler; enough ice to fill the cooler; 125 to 150 pounds of brick charcoal; fireproof gloves; fire extinguisher, and one large table for work surface.
- Use all the ingredients of injection and let it sit for 24 hours for the flavours to get into the pork.
- Check whether the coals are properly placed to cook the pig and the skin should begin to sweat lightly which will start rendering the fat. Make sure the sweating and rendering is not too aggressive or less.
- Keep on adding about 9 pounds of coal per hour depending on the weather conditions.
- After a couple of hours use an industrial size roll plastic wrap and tie it on one end of the spit letting it to move naturally till the pig is completely wrapped. The pork will be injected with water between the wraps and skin in order to be water tight. Use 1 to 2 gallons of water using injecting needle. Cook for 4 hours continuously.
- Then, carefully remove the plastic wrap without tearing the skin and use your hands to smear the seasoning blend over the meat covering all the areas.
- Cook for an hour and brush with butter every 30 minutes and continue to cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F for 4 hours. Cook for another 30 minutes to tighten the glaze and cut the meat directly. Your spit roasting a pig is ready to serve hot.
If you prefer to cook a whole hog hassle free in 4 hours or less, then purchase your very own roasting box. Visit www.LaCajaChina.com now!